Choosing the right equipment to use and knowing the proper workout training are some of the most important factors to consider in trying to burn calories. In this article, we are going to talk about the differences between recumbent vs upright bike along with their respective advantages. Visit recumbentbikeaustralia.com.au today and check out the different classifications of these bikes.
Using a regular bike as we get older gets tougher and less engaging. The signs of aging such as sudden pain in hips, legs, and knees are starting to show up. Sitting and pedaling for a long period of time gets unbearable and hard to endure as well. That is the reason why exercise bikes like recumbent bikes are invented.
This fitness equipment lets you work on your legs, thigh, hips, and glute muscles with less force in the joints. Compared to a regular bicycle, it has a larger and lower seat making it easier for the user to keep their balance. It also takes pride in providing comfort most especially for people suffering from arthritis.
A recumbent bike allows the user the do cardiovascular workout without having to put so much effort into balancing and pedaling. If you are suffering from conditions that affect your joints, this is a good option since this exercise bike lets you workout while reducing pressure on your joints.
Older and joint injured people will find this equipment more enjoyable to use. Because it provides a low impact exercise, anyone can use it for a long period of time. This bike is easier to ride vs. upright bikes since it does not strain the muscle joints too much.
Unlike upright bikes, recumbent bike offers great balance and stability. The design of the bike holds a wider seat in a slightly reclined position, giving the user a significant sense of feeling secure. Your body’s seating position on this bike will lessen the pressure in your knees, hips, as well as your back. Because of this, getting hurt and injured while doing your workout are less likely to happen.
Doing cardio for a long duration is good for your physical and mental health. In fact, studies show that any kind of exercise helps an individual release natural chemicals in the brain which are responsible for boosting your mood.
The upright bike is more recommended for people who have no physical limitations. This fitness equipment looks almost the same as a regular bike where the pedals are the main point of gravity making the user lean over the handles.
If you are preparing for a triathlon or a race, an upright bike is the perfect exercise bike for you. It promotes a full-body workout and it engages more muscles in comparison to a recumbent bike.
The design of this bike lets you sit in an upright position so you can successfully work with your core muscles. An upright bike will improve the strength of your biceps, triceps, and upper body muscles. Remember that if you engage your muscles more in working out, you will be able to burn calories faster and effectively.
Because of its upright position, the user might find it a little difficult to pedal longer as it might hurt the knees and ankles. Biking for a long period of time might also cause pain in the lower back. Apart from this, an upright bike requires more energy as you will be needing to keep your body in an upright position leading to muscle pain and exhaustion. Compared to a recumbent bike, this equipment is harder and less safe to use.
Whichever you choose between these two bikes, you will still be able to fully maximize your cardio workout as both recumbent and upright bike offer multiple benefits.
Benefits Of Exercise Bikes
- Improves cardio fitness. Riding a bike is a great way to raise your heartbeat. Cycling strengthens the muscles, heart, and lungs while boosting the blood and oxygen flow all over the body. Eventually, you will get benefits such as; sharp memory and better brain function, better mood and sleep, healthier immunity, regularized blood sugar levels and decreased stress intensity.
- Helps in losing weight. The number of calories that your body can burn in a day will depend on how intense you worked out with the exercise bike. Utilizing this fitness equipment will help you lose weight in no time. Regular cycling will show visible results right away as long as you stick to your routine and diet.
- Reduces body fat. To fully lose weight and achieve your weight goal, burning body fats is important. Recumbent and upright bikes combined with a healthy diet and balanced meals can help you accomplish the summer bod that you’ve been working hard for.
- Perfect for people with injuries. Since exercise bikes are a low impact workout machine, injured people can still enjoy the thrill of exercising without jeopardizing their safety. Apart from this, they will be able to stay fit and healthy with the absence of pressure in the joints.
- Improves lower body muscles. Legs and hips are the most used body parts in cycling. Exercise bikes can build up the strength in the legs, calves, and hamstrings. In addition, it also strengthens the muscles in the core and back. Bikes with handlebars improve the upper body muscles as well.
- Has different intensities to choose from. You can personally choose the speed and velocity of your workout. This equipment allows you to do light, moderate, and intense cardio depending on your preference.
- Generally safer than biking outdoor. Outdoor biking is a great way to work out, however, it is also prone to accidents and injuries. Add the fact that sometimes the weather is not too cooperative. Stationary exercise bikes will let you complete your cardio routine in the comfort of your own home.
How To Use Exercise Bikes
Before using fitness equipment, it is important to know how to properly use and utilize your chosen apparatus. Using an exercise bike wrongfully can result in wrong posture and injuries. Below are the right procedure for using recumbent or upright bikes;
- Seat adjustment. Most bikes have a feature where you can move and adjust the seat according to your height and comfortability. Prior to working out, position yourself on the seat and make sure that your legs are slightly bent.
- The setting of handlebars. It is essential that you will be able to reach the handlebars so that you can stretch your arms. This procedure is most important for taller and shorter people.
- Know the features of the bike. Advanced exercise bikes offer different levels to choose from. This way you can increase or decrease the intensity of your training. Knowing your bike features will help you become aware of the difference between low and high levels.
- Adjust the pedal straps. Pedal straps are useful in a way that it keeps your feet steady. It also promotes a more comfortable workout routine and prevents your feet from slipping out of the bike.
- Correct your posture. In doing any physical activity, keeping a correct posture is a must. Avoid hunching and keep your back straight and your chest up all throughout the routine.