When it comes to providing care for expectant mothers and their families, John’s Area Health Services Obstetrics (OB) Department embraces the philosophy of “Our family taking care of your family.” We make efforts to be flexible so your experience can be as rewarding as possible, and our providers and nursing staff are committed to providing excellent care to mom, baby, and family based on evidence, best practices, quality, and safety initiatives.
St. John’s operates a Level 1 nursery and accommodates three private Labor / Delivery / Recovery / Postpartum rooms equipped with modern fetal heart monitors. (A cordless fetal monitoring system is also available.) Moms have access to birthing balls and beds which adapt to position changes when in labor. Expectant mothers can learn more about these offerings during childbirth preparation classes designed for women in their seventh, eighth, and ninth month of pregnancy.
Expectant moms are also in for a pleasant surprise when admitted to their room because St. John’s can offer a staffing ratio which lends one nurse to every laboring mom. Our nurses receive ongoing training including in-house Neonatal Resuscitation Program education offered to nurses and physicians.
Birthing coaches are encouraged to stay with the expectant mothers as much as they’re able
A woman who discovers she’s pregnant or wants to conceive can make appointments through Essentia Health in Park Rapids, Menahga, and Walker. Anyone with a question about St. John’s OB Department or childbirth preparation classes please call Lisa at 218-616-3345..
St. John’s OB services include:
- One-on-one nursing care for laboring mothers
- A dedicated team of specially trained nursing staff & providers
- Renovated birthing rooms & furnishings
- New whirlpool tub & water therapy to aid in relaxation & pain relief
- Birthing education classes
- Essentia Health / St. John’s core physician group with special focus in Obstetrics
- Essentia Health / St. John’s Certified Nurse Midwife and Nurse Practitioner
- Lactation Counselors
- Infant hearing screenings
- Free car seat & use training
- Individualized Labor & Delivery care
- Individualized postpartum & newborn care instruction
- Neonatal transport team through Essentia Health network
- Knitted cap for baby, made with love by hospital auxiliary volunteer
- Baby’s first book donated by Friends of the Library
- Teaching materials in Spanish, interpreters available
- Layettes donated to moms with limited financial resources