What can happen with my cosmetic surgery? What esthetic procedures are available when you undergo such surgery?
My cosmetic surgery
My cosmetic surgery might be different from other patients. Surgical procedures vary depending on the purpose of the surgery for a person. For other people, it can be plastic surgery because of their reasoning.
Cosmetic surgery is a medical discipline that focuses on improving a functioning body part to enhance appearance. This surgery is elective, and insurance providers will not cover it. Additionally, the surgery can happen in all areas of the head, neck, and body.
Meanwhile, plastic surgery focuses on reconstructing dysfunctional facial and body parts. The condition of the patient’s dysfunctional body part can either be birth disorders, trauma, burns, or disease. Correcting the body part applies to plastic surgery.
Overall, undergoing a cosmetic surgical procedure can bring various changes. These changes can affect a person not on the outside only. It can also have significant effects on the inside. For this reason, it would be best to have a consultation with the surgeon and talk about this initially.
During the consultation, your surgeon would probably discuss with you the realistic expectations, medical risks, recovery, and expenses you need to be aware of. Aside from that, your surgeon will ask you about your intentions of wanting this surgery.
Typical aesthetic procedures
Several aesthetic procedures are available, which can cater to individual cosmetic needs. The methods that a patient will undergo depends on what they want to change in their looks. It can be a single procedure only or more. In this case, here are some of the cosmetic procedures and some brief details about them.
1. Breast-related surgeries
- Breast augmentation: It involves increasing the size of the breasts using saline or silicone gel prosthetics. Fat grafting is also available nowadays.
- Breast reduction: On the contrary to augmentation, this option takes place to reduce the size of the breast through the removal of its excess fat, skin, and tissue.
- Mastopexy or breast lift: It involves improving the shape of the breasts.
- Male breast reduction: This method provides treatment for gynecomastia or men’s mammary tissue enlargement.
This medical procedure involves removing excess fat from the specific parts of the body, such as the abdomen, hips, thighs, arms, buttocks, or neck. It also includes shaping these areas.
3. Vaginal surgery
It involves procedures that can reshape or tighten the vagina’s muscles. The most common form of this surgery is vaginal tightening or strengthening the vagina’s muscle and labiaplasty that reduces or reshapes the labia.
4. Facial cosmetic procedures
- Blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery: The purpose of this surgery is to reshape a person’s eyelids.
- Rhinoplasty: It involves reshaping the patient’s nose, either to improve the appearance or breathing difficulties.
- Otoplasty or ear surgery: It usually takes place to treat prominent or misshapen ears, even at five or six years of age.
- Rhytidectomy or facelift: It is typical for those who want to achieve younger-looking skin by removing wrinkles and tightening facial skin.
- Brow lift (Forehead lift, Browplasty): These cosmetic procedures usually occur with other techniques. Their purpose is to lessen or take away the signs of aging in a person’s forehead, such as wrinkles and or worry lines.
- Chin augmentation: It involves improving the chin to balance the facial features.
- Malar or cheek augmentation: It helps emphasize a person’s cheekbone.
5. Less invasive cosmetic treatments
- Chemical peels: It removes the skin on the face’s outer layer. In effect, you can treat acne, pockmarks, scars, or wrinkles.
- Botulinum toxin or botox: It helps reduce skin wrinkles and serves as a treatment for some medical conditions.
- Dermal fillers: These are injectable fillers that create a smoother and fuller appearance of the face. Learn more by going to this link: https://www.stleonardsdental.com.au
- Fat injections and fat grafting: The surgeon will use the patient’s fat to enhance facial features, such as the lips.
- Laser and light-based facial treatment: This treatment involves beams of light that can lessen fine lines, wrinkles, and abnormal pigmentation.
6. Hair transplantation
This treatment can help renew hair growth. However, a patient may need several sessions before achieving the desired results.
What to expect
Before the surgery
It is necessary that the patient fully understands everything about the surgery. It includes what can happen before, during, and after the surgery. Aside from that, surgeons shall encourage the patients to have realistic expectations to achieve satisfaction.
Before the procedure, the patient will know what specific methods they would undergo, its benefits, associated risks, and potential complications. The surgeon might even suggest other techniques to enhance the results even more.
Moreover, before your surgery’s schedule, you will undergo a preoperative examination to confirm that your overall health is in excellent condition. This examination will ensure that you are fit before the surgeons proceed with your surgery.
During the surgery
Inside the operating room is your surgical team. The team includes the surgeon, surgeon’s assistants, a scrub person, an anesthesiologist, and a circulating nurse. They have individual responsibilities to make the surgery run smoothly.
During the surgery, they will apply either general anesthesia or IV (Intravenous) sedation to ensure the patient’s comfort while the operation is ongoing. An anesthesiologist is there to monitor this part. On the other hand, some procedures only require local anesthesia and can work in an outpatient setting.
After the surgery
Like any other procedure, you might encounter after-effects. Your surgeon will give you post-operative instructions that you have to follow while you are recovering. This way, your healing process will take a shorter time only.
Aside from that, they will also provide you with pain medications and antibiotics. You have to take these medications as prescribed by your surgeon. Otherwise, it can cause side effects that may also hinder your healing process.
Bruising and swelling are also typically present after the procedure. Furthermore, it is possible to gain permanent surgical scars. The length of recovery also varies depending on the type of procedure that the patient has undergone.
In general, the recovery period takes six to 12 weeks for most cosmetic procedures. However, the length can shorten or extend depending on how you take care of yourself after the surgical operation. Your recovery period also lies in your hands.
Surgical operations, either cosmetic or plastic, have several variations. This variation includes the outcomes in the end. Overall, what the patient needs to keep in mind are realistic expectations. This way, they can accept the results as improvements.
Moreover, the surgery can also cause complications, which may require follow-up surgeries. In this case, if the after-effects already go out of hand, it would be best to seek medical attention immediately.
Generally speaking, undergoing cosmetic surgical operations need a discussion between the patient and the surgeon. Aside from that, even the family has to know about it. Family members should also be aware of the surgery’s consequences.
In the final analysis, the patient who wishes to undergo a cosmetic surgical operation should think about it many times. They should balance everything and know if they indeed need to experience the knife of a surgeon.